Depending on the type of anesthetic you are receiving, your instructions for preparing for your visit at Grand Traverse Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Centers may differ. If our oral surgeons are going to use a local anesthetic or nitrous oxide, you may not need to do anything before your appointment. But if for IV sedation is needed, please take some time to review the instructions below:
- Our oral surgeons will ask you to stop eating or drinking six (6) hours before your appointment. This includes drinking water.
- You should refrain from smoking 12 hours before your appointment, and this may be a good time to consider quitting altogether.
- Wear flat shoes, short sleeves, and loose-fitting clothing. Do not wear jewelry or makeup to your appointment.
- Remove contact lenses and dentures before your visit.
- Someone will need to drive you home after your appointment, and you should not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours after your visit.
- Follow the instructions our oral surgeons will give you regarding any pain medications or antibiotics.
- Talk with our oral surgeons about any medication that you take on a regular basis.
- If you become sick, notify our office right away.
Specific instructions regarding your treatment may vary. If you have questions or concerns about anesthesia in Traverse City, Michigan, or in Alpena, Cadillac and Gaylord, call our offices today. A member of our team will be happy to tell you more and help you plan your visit with us.